Saturday, January 5, 2013

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

We needed a new table... one that fit in the space between our kitchen and our playroom (AKA the family room in most normal people's houses).

This was our old set up.  It was a small table and a small kids picnic table next to it...

Sorry about the picture quality, I actually didn't have that many table pictures to choose from.

It was way too small for our family.   When we first bought that round table, we were a family of four, and then Jimmy joined our family.  Fast forward five years of hating how small that table was....We needed bigger table, something not too big and not too wide.  I searched and searched, but I couldn't find one that fit the measurements I wanted.  My ideal table was this one...

image from Pottery Barn
This table had the right shape, but I hated the legs and I hated the bottom bar thing.  AND I hated the price tag $999.00 (without shipping).  AND, it was too large for that area in my kitchen. AND, I needed the table to match the rest of the furniture in the kitchen.  Enter Ana-White.  Have you seen her website?  ana-white.com .   I am in awe of this little lady.  She inspired me to blog and gave me the confidence to DIY.  

So, I stalked Ana's web site.  I searched the tables and melded the Farmhouse Table with the Turned Leg Coffee Table to make this...

Please don't mind the mess behind it.  This area is a work in progress!


My baby!  (ps it cost around $100.00 to make mine including the stain and top coat plus various supplies)  I promise to be more diligent with the cost of my next project.  I worked so hard and learned sooo much.  This wood working thing is truly a make a whole lot of mistakes and learn as you go process.  I researched how to do this and how to do that (to death), but there is only so much one can learn on youtube and stalking web sites;  getting down and dirty is where you gain the knowledge.  And making tons of mistakes :)  Don't get me wrong, all of the tips are what helped me accomplish the goal, but actually building it....  

Can you tell that I am super proud of this table?  I made it!  

Tomorrow I will post the pictures of building the table.... 

Thanks for stopping by!
Kathy


















No comments:

Post a Comment